Health

COVID-19 wastewater program coming to the NWT

The government says samples of sewage water may help detect the presence of COVID-19 in local communities.


The government is launching a wastewater testing program to potentially detect the presence of COVID-19 in the territories. The program will collect sewage samples from Hay River, Yellowknife, Inuvik, Fort Smith and Fort Simpson. The government says they suspect this program to cover half the population’s and 100 per cent of all…



Presumptive positive case of COVID-19 found at Diavik mine

The territorial government says there is a presumptive case of COVID-19 at Diavik Mine. The unnamed individual arrived at the Northwest Territories in a chartered flight from Ontario, as stated in a press release. Upon entry, the worker was deemed “presumptive positive” and still needs to be confirmed by a…


New COVID-19 secretariat role coming to the GNWT

In preparing for a second wave of COVID-19, the territorial government is creating a secretariat role within the department of Health and Social Services to respond to the pandemic. The secretariat will work closely with Kami Kandola, chief public health officer, implementing, and enforcing the NWT Public Health Order. For…



South Slave under boil water advisory

A boil water advisory is in effect in Hay River, Enterprise, Kakisa, and the K’atl’Odeeche Reserve. The advisory is a result of higher than normal turbidity — muddy water, according to a press release issued Wednesday morning. The Chief Environmental Health Officer is advising all residents in Hay River, Enterprise,…


Public health emergency extended for 12th time

The territorial government has extended the public health emergency until Sept. 15. There have been no cases of COVID-19 in the NWT since April 5, but a press release says, there is fear of it spreading from other areas of Canada. “As Western Canada’s rate of infection reaches levels not…


Drop the Pop campaign awards schools $18k

Over a dozen schools have been chosen as the winners of the Drop the Pop campaign. Out of 45 participating schools, 16 have been chosen for the monetary award, ranging from $500 to $1,875. The Drop the Pop campaign is supported by the department of Health and Social Services to…



Public health emergency extended once again

Self-isolation is the frontline of the COVID-19 defence, says the GNWT in a press release.


From the advice of Dr. Kami Kandola, the government of the Northwest Territories has extended the territory-wide public health emergency once more. This extension expires on September 1, 2020. With over 900 self-isolation plans filed just last week from new workers, residents, and students, health officials say self-isolation is a…