Public health emergency extended for 12th time

Diane Thom, minister of Health and Social Services, said on Wednesday that border changes starting May 29 now allowed tourists into the NWT if they self-isolate for 14 days. (CKLB file photo.)

The territorial government has extended the public health emergency until Sept. 15.

There have been no cases of COVID-19 in the NWT since April 5, but a press release says, there is fear of it spreading from other areas of Canada.

“As Western Canada’s rate of infection reaches levels not seen since the beginning of the pandemic, our territory must remain vigilant to protect our communities, and our health system.”

The release says the territory is working to establish rapid testing, but in the meantime anyone who leaves the NWT must self-isolate for 14 days, upon returning.

“Self-isolation is the frontline of our COVID-19 defence,” the release says.

Checkpoints and isolation centres will continue to be provided to ensure the NWT remains COVID-free.

This is the 12th time Diane Thom, minister of Health and Social Services, has extended the public health emergency.

The government can only extend the states of emergency for two weeks at a time.

About the Author

Luke Carroll
Luke Carroll is a journalist originally from Brockville, Ont. He is happy to call the Northwest Territories home and is always listening for stories that matter to the community. He has previously worked as a reporter and editor in Ottawa, Halifax and New Brunswick. If you have a story idea, feel free to send him an email at luke.carroll@cklbradio.com.