Northwest Territories RCMP says they are still on the hunt for the lone suspect in Tuesday night’s stabbing spree in Fort Good Hope.
In a press conference just after 2 p.m. on Thursday, Sgt. Chris Manseau said Thaddeus McNeely had still not been found, although he is most likely still in the community. Police had previously said other persons of interest could be identified, but Manseau said McNeely is now the only suspect.
Manseau said the incident is believed to be “an isolated incident and a targeted attack, where the suspect and victims are known to each other.”
He said the motive is still under investigation.
Manseau said police are still on the ground in Fort Good Hope, although they are not restricting access into or out of the community. Although the request for residents to shelter in place that was issued Tuesday night has since been rescinded, Manseau said residents should still be vigilant, since the suspect is believed to be “armed and dangerous.”
On Wednesday, the RCMP identified 24-year-old McNeely as a person of interest in a Tuesday night stabbing spree that left one dead and two in hospital. Manseau said the two survivors are still receiving medical treatment and are speaking with police.
With files from Mariah Caruso.