Indoor gatherings of up to 200 people are officially allowed as the territory’s chief public health officer (CPHO) loosened another restriction.
The announcement was made in a press release issued Tuesday afternoon.
Previously, indoor gatherings of up to 200 people needed approval by the CPHO.
Previous indoor restrictions limited 25 people to a public space and 10 people to a private home.
Some high risk events including funerals, live singing and handgames tournaments will still require additional approvals.
In a press conference Dr. Kami Kandola, CPHO, also encouraged residents to be strategic about how they follow the new restrictions. For example she encouraged birthday parties for children under the age of vaccine requirements, to be held outside.
“This is about making good choices for you, your family and your communities,” she said.
But Dr. Kandola says she expects all requirements to be gone by fall 2021, which would mean a normal school year for students.
As of Tuesday 66 per cent of NWT residents have received both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine while 72 per cent have received one dose.
The announcement comes a day after Dr. Kandola removed mandatory mask requirement for indoor public spaces in Behchokǫ̀, Ndilǫ, Dettah and Yellowknife.
The loosening of restrictions on indoor gatherings also comes a week after self-isolation requirements were removed for fully vaccinated NWT residents.
Dr. Kandola has also removed a Public Health Order restriction that required anyone working at a work camp in the mining industry to complete 14 days of social distancing before traveling to the workplace.