Man’s body recovered from Great Slave Lake after snowmobiling tragedy

A Canadian Forces Hercules aircraft, involved in the search for missing snowmobilers, at the Yellowknife Airport Tuesday (submitted photo)

Mounties have confirmed that the body of Samuel Boucher, 65, of Lutsel K’e was recovered from Great Slave Lake on Monday after a snowmobiling tragedy that has claimed three lives.

RCMP say they have no information about a second body having been seen from the air.

That’s despite information to the contrary provided to CKLB by a source close to the investigation who has been accurate with their information about the tragedy so far.

Two other people, Cammy Boucher, 23, also from Lutsel K’e and Jake Gully, 28, of Fort Good Hope are still missing.

The three victims set out from Dettah a week ago Monday – May 13th – at night on a single snowmobile headed for Lutsel K’e on the lake’s East Arm.

It would appear that their snow machine went through thin ice.

Due to deteriorating ice conditions, RCMP are cautioning people to stay off the ice.

“Our officers have been on the water and experienced the conditions first hand. They strongly urge people to stay off the ice and water,” states Staff Sergeant Yannick Hamel of Yellowknife RCMP.

Both the military and civilian search and rescue personnel and equipment have been used in the search including airplanes and helicopters.

Mounties stated that the body was recovered after three RCMP officers and a Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) official were able to land a chopper nearby and retrieve the body from the water.

The NWT Coroner Service is now involved in the investigation as well.

CKLB extends condolences to the families and friends of the victims.

About the Author

John McFadden
John has been in the broadcast journalism industry since the 1980s. He has been a reporter in Yellowknife since 2012 and joined CKLB in January of 2018. John covers the crime and court beat as well as reporting on other areas including politics, business, entertainment and sports. He won seven national community newspaper awards while he was a journalist with Northern News Services Limited (NNSL). John worked in Ontario before coming North including stints as a TV sportscaster in Peterborough and senior news writer for CBC and CTV in downtown Toronto.