Public health emergency extended again

Julie Green, health minister, extended the public health emergency for the NWT. (Photo by Luke Carroll)

The territorial government has extended the public health emergency until Oct. 10.

There have been no cases of COVID-19 in the NWT since April 5, but a press release says, with record levels of COVID-19 transmission reported in neighbouring areas, the risk to the Northwest Territories is increased.

“As the COVID-19 has accelerated across Canada, some provinces are talking about locking down again. The NWT is in a position where we are looking at how to move forward faster with careful considerations of risk because of strong, early response. ”

The release says the territory has expanded rapid testing. However the rule remains that anyone who leaves the NWT must self-isolate for 14 days, upon returning.

“Self-isolation is the frontline of our COVID-19 defence,” the release says.

Checkpoints and isolation centres will continue to be provided to ensure the NWT remains COVID-free.

This is the 14th time the GNWT has extended the public health emergency.

The government can only extend the states of emergency for two weeks at a time.

About the Author

Luke Carroll
Luke Carroll is a journalist originally from Brockville, Ont. He is happy to call the Northwest Territories home and is always listening for stories that matter to the community. He has previously worked as a reporter and editor in Ottawa, Halifax and New Brunswick. If you have a story idea, feel free to send him an email at luke.carroll@cklbradio.com