School beefs up security after alleged threats

A Yellowknife youth is set to appear in court Thursday charged with uttering threats last month involving an elementary school in the city.

The suspect can not be named under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

There is a media ban on releasing evidence in the case including the name of the school.

The boy’s lawyer, Peter Harte, says he may move to have the charges dismissed saying the case against his client is weak.

Meanwhile, the school’s principal has sent a letter to parents telling them of increased security measures.

They include locking the exterior school doors during the day and the installation of security cameras at all the school’s entrances.

The principal says the school will hold a lockdown drill Thursday adding that the accused will not be allowed to return to school until staff are satisfied that it is safe to do so.

About the Author

John Mcfadden
John has been in the broadcast journalism industry since the 1980s. He has been a reporter in Yellowknife since 2012 and joined CKLB in January of 2018.  John covers the crime and court beat as well as reporting on other areas including politics, business, entertainment and sports. He won seven national community newspaper awards while he was a journalist with Northern News Services Limited (NNSL).

Be the first to comment on "School beefs up security after alleged threats"

Leave a comment