Dene Language Announcer / Host
The Native Communications Society of the NWT is looking to build a team of creative,
passionate, enthusiastic, energetic and talented individuals constantly searching for
challenges and perfection. NCS is the Northwest Territory’s premier Aboriginal Broadcaster
with coverage spanning the entire territory and beyond. Our Radio Division, CKLB, delivers
News, Current Affairs and diverse regional and cultural perspectives daily into the lives of
NWT Residents, in five Aboriginal languages, and English.
NCS is currently seeking a qualified Language Announcer / Host to deliver daily
programming in the South Slavey dialect. This is a full-time position, working in a fast-
paced creative cross cultural environment out of our production facilities in Yellowknife,
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL HAVE THESE QUALITIES:
– Has a genuine interest for news
– A passion for telling stories
– Serious about a career in radio
– An understanding that radio is never only 9-5
– Work in partnership with other news and radio staff
– Strong, confident and natural delivery on air
– Bring story ideas to the table on a daily basis
– Conduct telephone interviews and research stories as needed
– Report, write, edit and contribute high quality stories
– Read live newscasts
– Pro-active in developing and following up on stories in the territory
– Cover live news events, filing voice reports by phone or via e-mail, as required.
– Maintain focus on target audience when covering stories.
– Available for emergency coverage at all times.
– Develop and maintain relationships with all potential news makers.
– Keep files up to date
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
– Outgoing personality, willing to speak to people in the community and flush out stories
– Ability to write stories in a clear, concise and creative manner
– Must be extremely motivated and willing to work as part of a team
– Strong organizational skills
– Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under pressure
– Must be a self-starter and energetic
– Must be detailed-oriented
– Must be able to take direction
– Possess a valid Drivers’ License and a clean Driver’s abstract
NCS offers an attractive benefits package, and the salary for this position is competitive
with Broadcast Industry standards. We thank you for your submissions and only those
candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
Please submit a cover letter and resume, no later than November 27, 2015, to;