NWT reports 13th COVID death

Stanton Territorial Hospital. (File photo/CKLB)

Julie Green, minister of Health and Social Services, said on social media there has been one more death related to COVID-19 in the NWT.

It is the first death since the Omicron variant entered the NWT. Public health has not been reporting the home communities of those that have passed away from COVID. It’s also not known when the person passed away as no updates have been provided since last Friday.

In addition to the death, the minister said there have been five more hospitalizations.

Last week, Dr. Kami Kandola, the NWT’s chief public health officer, said she expected hospitalization numbers to go up.

Minister Green added that the “sliver of good news” was that overall active case numbers dropped by 90 to 1,266.

Residents can find the latest numbers here.

About the Author

Francis Tessier-Burns
Francis has been a general news reporter with CKLB since January 2019. Originally from rural Ontario, he first came to the NWT in 2016 as an intern with Up Here magazine and fell in love with the North. In his time with CKLB, he's had the immense pleasure and honour of learning about northern Indigenous cultures. Otherwise, you can find him hanging around the Legislative Assembly. If you have a story or want to chat, reach out to francis@cklbradio.com