Tibbitt to Contwoyto winter road is open to traffic

(Photo courtesy of Mike Lowing)

The winter road from Tibbitt to Contwoyto is now open to service the Rio Tinto Diavik Diamond Mine, Dominion Diamond Mine Ekati Mine and the De Beers Canada Gahcho Kue Mine.

Mike Lowing, Director of Winter Road Operations, Tibbitt to Contwoyto Winter Road Joint Venture says, “We had a soft opening on Jan. 31 and this year 7600 loads are planned to travel up the road.”

The road will operate 24 hours per day and is expected to be closed by the end of March.

According to Lowing, “The Winter Road is 400 km in length with 85 per cent running on the lakes and the other 15 per cent on portages.”

Lowing stated the following in a news release:

  • Winter road transport trucks will be dispatched in convoys every 20 minutes and travel on the Ingraham Trail with a minimum spacing of 1000 metres between the units.
  • Dispatching of the Winter Road trucks, north and south on the Ingraham Trail, will be suspended twice a day (7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.) to minimize the impact to residents commuting to Yellowknife in the morning and back home at the end of the workday.
  • Diavik Diamond Mines will be operating two security vehicles 24 hours a day along the entire length of the Ingraham Trail monitoring the speed, spacing and driving of the Winter Road trucks.
  • The traveling public on Highway #4 can report safety concerns or non-emergency events to the Joint Venture Winter Road Dispatch Centre at 873-9111.
  • All emergencies on the Ingraham Trail must be reported to emergency services by calling 911.

“It may be subject to closure in the event of winter storms or accidents,” Lowing said. “It is recommended that any person traveling the winter road be prepared with winter clothing.”

To keep updated on the Tibbitt to Contwoyto Winter Road, follow the daily updates at jvtcwinterroad.ca

arthur.green@cklbradio.com

Twitter.com/artcgreen

About the Author

Arthur C. Green
Arthur C. Green is from Whitbourne Newfoundland and graduated from the CNA Journalism Program. Arthur also studied Business Marketing and Political Science at Memorial University in Essex England and St. John's Newfoundland. Green has worked as a spot news photographer/journalist with such news organizations as Vista-radio, CBC, CBC Radio, NTV, Saltwire and Postmedia in Alberta.

Be the first to comment on "Tibbitt to Contwoyto winter road is open to traffic"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*