Calling all artists in the Northwest Territories.
The Royal Canadian Legion – Vincent Massey Branch #164 in Yellowknife – is looking for a team of NWT artists to design, produce and install a sculpture to honour Canadian veterans.
In a news release, the Legion states that this commemorative project will replace an original sculpture first erected in 2005, which was damaged in an apparent act of vandalism this past July.
The new monument will be located in front of Joint Task Force North (JTFN) in Yellowknife.
The project requires a design team that would include more than one northern artist and a youth representative.
The Legion also requires a military historian to advise the team on the design plans.
To be considered for this opportunity, each applicant must submit a concept proposal, cost estimate and artist background biographies.
The Legion is fundraising to cover materials, artists’ expenses and research costs for creation of the work.
Commission fees will be based on an accepted project budget submitted by the applicant team.
All required information must be submitted by November 1.
The Legion’s Project Committee will schedule a meeting soon after the deadline to review applications and make final selections.
If you have any questions, contact Tammy Roberts at email@example.com.
Applicants must be:
• Residents of the Northwest Territories.
• Established or professional visual artists or designers who have previously created and displayed works of art to the public.
• Developing artists or youth who are not using their artistic ability as their prime means of financial support.
• Artists who are comfortable with their own repertoire.
• Able to participate on a tight schedule, during a two month period in a self-directed artistic collaborative process.
• Ready to work cooperatively in a collaborative team environment.
• Military historians, or individuals with demonstrated archival research abilities and familiarity with the activities of the Canadian Forces in the North.
The required art forms and skills for this project include carving, sculpting, installation art, painting, murals, graphics, printmaking etc.
Enthusiasm and the ability to clearly articulate a concept from design to production and installation are primary criteria for selection.
Teams must be comprised of both experienced artists who can lead the project and emerging artists who are committed to pursuing their further creative development.
Selected team members will be contracted by the Yellowknife Royal Canadian Legion Branch #164 – Yellowknife and must comply with any relevant Legion and Canadian Forces policies.