Space heater starts fire on Jeske Crescent

Image shared on Facebook

Yellowknife Firefighters say a space heater under a modular home at 174 Jeske Crescent, is what caused the blaze Sunday night.

“The Fire Division responded shortly after 10:30 last night with a duty crew of five personnel on Engine 9 and Medic 6,” said a press release from the City of Yellowknife.

Crews noted dark smoke billowing out from under the skirting. The owners of the home, and their pets evacuated safely.

Image shared on Instagram.

Hose lines were set up in an attempt to hold the fire to the crawlspace.

“The fire spread into the structure and out through the roof. The flames were contained to the structure and minimal damage was sustained to the travel trailer parked a few feet beside it,” added members of the YKFD in Monday’s release.

Fifteen firefighters battled the flames in -30C temperatures. No injuries were reported.

About the Author

Josh Campbell
Josh Campbell has returned to the CKLB News Team. He covered female university soccer and volleyball in New Brunswick, prior to graduating from Loyalist College in Mohawk Territory near Belleville, Ontario in 2007. He's covered politics and Indigenous stories in both the NWT and Yukon over the last 10 years.

Be the first to comment on "Space heater starts fire on Jeske Crescent"

Leave a comment