Former Nahanni Butte Chief “surprised” by current leaders comments

Nahanni Butte - Photo courtesy of Spectacular NWT

Members of the Nahanni Butte Dene Band gathered on Saturday to discuss their future with the Dehcho First Nations.

Former Chief Mike Matou says last week’s comments from Chief Peter Marcelais about pulling away from the Dehcho startled the community.

“This is kinda a big surprise for me especially as a councillor because I haven’t heard any discussions about actually leaving the Dehcho Process,” Matou told CKLB on Friday.

Chief Marcellais announced his intentions to leave the Dehcho Process at last week’s Dene Leadership meeting in Colville Lake.

Marcellais wasn’t available for comment on Friday.

UPDATE: According to the band’s lawyer, Garth Wallbridge, Matou has not yet be sworn in as a member of council.

About the Author

Josh Campbell
Josh Campbell has returned to the CKLB News Team. He covered female university soccer and volleyball in New Brunswick, prior to graduating from Loyalist College in Mohawk Territory near Belleville, Ontario in 2007. He's covered politics and Indigenous stories in both the NWT and Yukon over the last 10 years.

Be the first to comment on "Former Nahanni Butte Chief “surprised” by current leaders comments"

Leave a comment