The Native Communications Society of the NWT boasts a team of creative, passionate, enthusiastic, energetic and talented individuals constantly searching for challenges and perfection. NCS is the Northwest Territory’s premier Aboriginal Broadcaster with coverage to the entire territory and beyond, an area in excess of one million square kilometers. Our Radio Division, CKLB, delivers News, Current Affairs and diverse regional and cultural perspectives daily into the lives of NWT Residents, in five Aboriginal languages, and English.
NCS is currently seeking a qualified News Reporter / Host to work full-time in a fast-paced creative cross cultural environment out of our production facilities in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. If you have a nose for news, here’s your chance to get your foot in the door!
– Work in partnership with other news staff
– Strong, confident and natural delivery on air
– Occasionally fill in on air as required.
– Bring story ideas to the table on a daily basis.
– Conduct telephone/in person interviews and research stories.
– Report, write, edit and contribute high quality news stories.
– Read live newscasts and record casts for other programs.
– Pro-active in developing and following up on stories in the Territory.
– Cover live news events, filing voice reports by phone or via e-mail, as required.
– Maintain focus on target audience when covering stories.
– Available for emergency coverage at all times.
– Responsible for uploading news stories to our website on a daily basis.
– Develop and maintain relationships with all potential newsmakers.
– Keep files up to date
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Displays professionalism and courtesy at all times
Ability to write news stories in a clear, concise and creative manner
Motivated and willing to work as part of a team
Strong organizational skills
Able to work in a fast paced environment under pressure
Excellent communication and interview skills as they apply to radio
Experience with Newsroom software programs an asset
Able to follow direction
Detail-oriented and a self-starter
Outgoing personality, willing to speak to people in the community
Degree/Diploma in Journalism or Creative Writing preferred.
NCS offers an attractive benefits package, and the salary for this position is competitive with Broadcast Industry standards. Only those candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, 2 samples of writing and an on air demo (max of 1 min) to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.