The Native Communications Society of the NWT (NCS) boasts a team of creative, passionate, enthusiastic, and talented individuals constantly searching for challenges. NCS is the Northwest Territories’ premier Aboriginal Broadcaster with coverage to an area in excess of One Million square kilometers and beyond. Our Radio division (CKLB), delivers diverse regional and cultural perspectives daily into the lives of NWT Residents in five Aboriginal languages and English. NCS and CKLB are growing and we are in need of a talented person who truly understands the value of good radio in meeting future challenges.
Chances like this only come along once in a while, and NCS is offering an incredible management opportunity for a highly motivated and talented broadcaster looking to advance or enhance their career. NCS is seeking an energetic and progressive individual with a proven track record to immediately fill the position of Director of Radio. In this post you will have a chance to lead our very dynamic and cutting edge radio station and not be afraid to push boundaries.
Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Radio will be responsible for the planning, organizing, producing, and delivery of News, Current Affairs and Aboriginal Language radio programs.
• Build and maintain a strong working relationship with department managers
• Build and maintain a strong working relationship with programming staff
• Manage, train, mentor and motivate a team of broadcast professionals
• Coach, train and develop broadcasters and sales personnel
• Collaborate with reporters and program hosts on content and story development
• Develop and produce special programming – elections, program series etc
• Oversee and monitor implementation of all Radio budgets
• Lead the development of both programming and revenue opportunities.
• Provide marketing ideas to grow business through both radio and online sales.
• Performance appraisals, including administering corrective actions
• Establish objectives and support company policies and programs
• Lead a talented staff in creating and maintaining a top quality on air and digital product with enthusiasm, and commitment to excellence and outstanding customer service
• Keep up to date with government regulatory policies to ensure conformance to regulations
• To generally enhance the performance and image of our Station and the Company as a whole.
Excellent knowledge of the broadcasting and communications industry. Journalism degree or a diploma in Broadcasting, with a minimum of five years’ experience working in Radio News. 4 – 6 years management experience in a similar or related position within the broadcast industry, and preferably in Radio. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
• Successful candidate must be a team builder and have a strong work ethic
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work cooperatively as a member of the CKLB team, to assist and
support other staff, and to facilitate a team environment through work contributions
and the sharing of expertise and knowledge
• A professional and friendly demeanor, and ability to demonstrate conduct
appropriate to the occasion
• Exercises influence, integrity and credibility in dealing with external contacts and
sources, and in the writing and presentation of program material
• Personal initiative, innovation and resourcefulness in developing plans and
program ideas, and in dealing with a variety of problems and issues
• Fluent in a variety of broadcast systems an asset
• Fully functional in a digital world
• Highly creative, innovative, enthusiastic and strategic
• Highly motivated and able to work with minimum supervision
• Competitive mindset with strong analytical, planning and organizational skills.
• Curiosity and a winning desire are key characteristics
• Applicants must provide a minimum of 2 names for reference checks. One
reference must be from a current Manager or Supervisor
• Valid driver’s license (driver’s abstract requested)
NCS offers an attractive benefits package, and the salary for this position is competitive with Broadcast Industry standards. We thank you for your submissions and only those candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
The closing date for this position is June 15, 2017 at 4:30 pm (MST). Those interested are asked to submit a cover letter and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fill in the form below & submit.