The Native Communications Society of the NWT boasts a team of creative, passionate, enthusiastic, energetic and talented individuals constantly searching for challenges and seeking perfection. NCS is the Northwest Territory’s premier Indigenous Broadcaster with coverage to the entire territory and beyond, an area in excess of One Million square kilometers. Our Radio Division, CKLB, delivers News, Current Affairs and diverse regional and cultural perspectives daily into the lives of NWT Residents, in five Aboriginal languages, and English.
NCS is currently seeking a qualified Community Radio Reporter to work part-time in a fast-paced creative cross cultural environment.
The Community Reporter will act as a community liaison to aggregate content and perform reporting and editorial assignments related to the gathering, writing, and presentation of program material for radio. Work is governed by NCS journalistic and programming policies and standards. Advice and guidance are regularly available but there is latitude for initiative and independent judgment.
If you have a keen interest in community events, this may be the job for you!
The successful applicant will possess these qualities;
• A team player
• Creative and can think outside the box
• Possesses a passion for telling stories
• Not afraid to ask the tough questions
• Serious about a career in radio
• Excellent oral and verbal communication skills
• Prepare and deliver community content on a weekly basis
• Work in partnership with other staff
• Develop, nurture and maintain relationships with all community sources
• Prepare content for radio
• All other tasks as assigned
Skills and qualifications required;
• Engaged with members of the community
• Considerable knowledge of basic and advanced radio programs and audio production
• Demonstrated ability to write and produce quality interviews and reports
• Experience with Newsroom and Media Touch an asset
• Excellent communication and interview skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under pressure
• Internet and social media savvy would be an asset
• Able to take direction
• Knowledge about the Dene and other Indigenous culture and languages of the NWT
NCS is an equal opportunity employer. Only the candidates residing in the Northwest Territories will be considered for this position.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume, cover letter, 2 samples of writing and on air demo (max of 1 min) to email: email@example.com
Resumes will be accepted until 6PM (MST), Monday, September 17, 2018.
Please note that while we appreciate all expressions of interest, we can only respond to those candidates selected to be interviewed.