Homicide victim died after he was stabbed in back

It was a day of high drama on day 11 of the Denecho King murder trial in Yellowknife.

The public now knows that John Wifladt died from massive blood loss after he was stabbed in the back on December 14th, 2014.

That was revealed when the Crown prosecutor read part of the 39-year-old Wifladt’s autopsy report in court.

Court heard the stab wound penetrated his chest cavity and spleen.

Wifladt was pronounced dead at Stanton Territorial Hospital about four hour arrived first responders arrived on scene at Sunridge Place apartments.

It was mere minutes after that was revealed and court adjourned for the day that Wifladt’s sister approached King before he left the courtroom and called him a “sick monster and a f**king coward.”

King looked at her but had little reaction as he was led away by RCMP officers.

The woman has been at the trial every day, and despite sometimes graphic testimony, had kept her emotions mostly in check, often consoling her mother seated beside her.

Earlier in the day, King’s defence lawyer was livid after he learned that a younger brother of King was told by a Mountie that he would have to sit in the back row of the public gallery.

Jay Bran told the judge that the younger King had as much right as any other member of the public to sit where ever he wanted to in the courtroom.

Bran pointed out that sheriffs are ultimately responsible for courtroom security and demanded the judge tell RCMP that they had exceeded their jurisdiction.

The judge did not do that and suggested the move was for security purposes.

The younger King then sat in the front row after a short recess.

He later told CKLB outside the courthouse that he was there to support his brother and that “there are two sides to every story.”

Security has been tight throughout the trial – the 25-year-old King has his legs shackled at all times and the public must pass through a metal detector to enter the courtroom.

Two uniformed RCMP officer have been inside the courtroom throughout the trial.

Paramedics who were called to the scene testified yesterday and admitted they were never asked to turn over any of their clothing or gloves to police for analysis.

Bran may be trying to show that the crime scene was contaminated and emergency personnel may have inadvertently transferred King’s DNA to the murder scene.

King  was already placed in the apartment building by a neighbour and paramedics could not say for sure that they had not touched doors or railings that King may have earlier come in contact with.

An RCMP forensic identification officer is expected to take the stand Tuesday.

Be the first to comment on "Homicide victim died after he was stabbed in back"

Leave a comment